It is so easy at this time when working from home or feeling a little trapped, depressed or out of sorts that we just can’t resist the chips… the cookies… the ice cream…the chocolate.
It’s normal to feel like you can’t stop overeating certain types of foods. Processed foods, in particular, are explicitly designed to be super tasty and addictive.
The good news is that there are strategies to help you build awareness of your behaviour and control consumption of foods that do not serve your health goals (or your waistline). Here are a handful of suggestions from Precision Nutrition that you could try.
- Eat slowly with no distractions, while paying attention to your sensations of hunger and fullness, your enjoyment and your thoughts
- Keep trigger foods out of the house (out of sight, out of mind)
- Focus on addition – eating more veggies – rather than subtraction (eating fewer sweets)
- Solve lifestyle factors (lack of sleep, lack of exercise, lack of protein) that could be creating cravings
- Change your language form “that’s bad” to “that makes it harder for me to achieve my goals” or “I tend to overeat that”
You might try one. You might try several. You might try them all. See what works for you. 🙂