Let’s start with why exercise is important for health. You probably have heard the saying “Move it or lose it”. Sayings that stick around often do so for a reason and the reason that we hear this so often is because it is true!
The Australian Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviour Guidelines recommend that adults should aim to be active for a weekly total of 2.5 to 5 hours of moderately intense exercise along with strength (or resistance) training twice a week. By trying to follow these recommendations we can expect to see and feel the many positive benefits that exercise has on our health and well being, both physically and mentally.
Regular exercise can:
- Strengthen muscles and bones, tendons and ligaments
- Improve blood circulation
- Help you maintain or achieve a healthy body weight
- Improve your energy levels
- Improve your metabolism
- Improve your mobility and balance
- Improve appearance and self-esteem
- Help you cope with stress, anxiety and depression
- Provide new opportunities to meet people and socialize
- Reduce the risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, osteoporosis and some cancers
- Include structured exercise as well as activities of daily living such as gardening, housework or walking to the shops
Add one 20 minute walk in.